Thursday, November 17, 2016

Chevy Truck Misfire Quick Check

The 2010 Chevy Silverado had a misfire complaint. There was no misfire on starting to drive into the shop but the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) was on so some sort of trouble code was stored. I could go drive the truck under different conditions and try to recreate a misfire but if it did miss I still wouldn't know why and the engine would need to cool for awhile before I could test. First thing then was check for stored trouble codes. P0300 is a misfire code and it does mean the engine was running badly at some point but it isn't especially helpful in diagnosing the problem. But suppose there was a misfire on a specific cylinder that just hasn't yet set a code. On the GM I could access stored misfire history and look for a problem.



Cylinder #7 has logged 2,116 misfires. All the others, 0. Looked like I should start with a look at #7 spark plug. Original plugs, 94000 miles. I replaced spark plugs and plug wires.



Thanks!

Kenneth Hayes
G&G Auto Repair

No comments:

Post a Comment