Wednesday, February 14, 2018

2001 Lexus RX 300 P1354 code stored

This seemed the easiest way to share the info on the Lexus.
We have stored engine code P1354.


That is a problem with the Variable Valve Timing system. Brief explanation of the system and what will cause the code to set:


I don't usually get too deep into these systems because it can get very involved very easily but I have learned some preliminary checks can turn out to be something simple. A lot of times it is just low engine oil but can be related to engine sludge built up over high mileage and this car is over 200,000.
I checked the oil and is 1 quart down and looks like a change is needed as well. The above picture is from the printout of test procedures for the P1354. Step one is verify the cam timing and I didn't do that because the timing cover would have to be removed and the timing marks aligned. Next is an actuator test with the scan tool to see if the vvt solenoids are working. I tested both bank 1 and bank 2 and both are working. I cleared the code from the computer and it hasn't returned. My thinking is that it would probably be worth changing engine oil & filter. It needs that done and it may be the cause of the P1354.



I have Identifix as one repair information source and interesting to me is that P1354 is a very common problem on your car. It is the #2 most searched on Identifix for the car. I include this because it will also list reported "fixes" for the problem and let you understand better about how involved this can get. 




Let me know and I can get the oil change done if you want. 



No comments:

Post a Comment