Friday, January 21, 2022

Battery Blues (Toyota Highlander)

 This 2011 Toyota Highlander turned on a lot of warning lights and eventually stalled with a no-start. The car was towed in with no key but unlocked. I went out there this morning (4 degrees windchill) and noticed there were no interior lights when I opened the door. I turned on the headlights. Nothing. A booster pack connected to the battery gave me some lights. I could at least put a charge on the battery so I removed the battery to bring it inside where its warmer for charging. I tested the battery and found a dead cell. Guess I'll be replacing instead of charging. At this point I have a new battery coming and the customer is supposed to bring the key by when he has the chance. I'm thinking that the bad battery isn't the entire problem because I think a good charging system would have kept it running and the battery would have been a starting issue. I'll get the battery installed, get a key and test from that point.







The new battery has arrived. Remember, check the state of charge and test the battery before installing. 


 Got the new battery ready for install. 


When I was connecting the battery cables I was seeing a LOT of spark. Some minor sparking is normal because some things will be powering on as the cable starts to contact the post but no this was not normal. There was a short in the electrical system. Since I already expected to see an alternator problem I disconnected the battery feed post at the alternator. 


With the alternator disconnected I was able to connect the battery and even start the car. There is an internal alternator short. Next up, replace the alternator. Watch for updates!

Kenny@ggauto.repair


No comments:

Post a Comment